I planted a few strawberry plants a few years ago but only got a few berries. This year I bought a hanging ever everbearing strawberry plant in hopes of a few more berries this year.
So far I’ve had two strawberries and as you can see from the photo, I should have another one in another day or so.
The instructions on the tag say to fertilize with a chemical fertilizer every 2 weeks but I’m opting for worm tea every watering. I usually water every 2-3 days.
And although the first few strawberries were on the plant when I bought it, there are a few new flowers that have sprung up in the last few days which has me very excited.
Since the strawberries are growing in a container, I’ve cut off most of the runners to direct the plant development to the berries. I have let 2 runners run to the pot below just as an experiment.
I’m also considering cutting off the last 2 under developed berries that were on the plant when I got it. They don’t seem to be developing much and I’d like the plant to focus on the new fruit above. I’m going to give it another 2 days and if they still seem unchanged I’m going to let them go.
These strawberries do well in partial shade which is great for my balcony. 🙂